diplomatic relations between Indonesia and Romania
began with the Romanian recognition on the independence
of the Republic of Indonesia on 20 February 1950,
although Indonesia had proclaimed its Independence
on 17 August 1945.
11-14 April 1960, The Founding Father and the First
President of Indonesia, Soekarno, made his first state
visit to Romania. In this fruitful state visit, H.E.
President Soekarno and his counterpart, H.E. Ion Ghoerge
Maurer, Head of the State Council of Romania, made
a joint statement on bilateral relations. At the same
time, the Indonesian Minister of Foreign Affairs,
H.E. Dr. Subandrio and his Romanian Counterpart, H.E.
Mr. Avram Bunaciu, signed the Bilateral Agreement
on Cultural Cooperation which became the first agreement
signed by both countries and the first formal base
for further development in their bilateral relations.
23-26 July 1960, the Indonesian Prime Minister, H.E.
Ir. H. Juanda, visited Romania and he reiterated the
strong willingness of Indonesia to implement the commitment
on building good bilateral relations, as extended
through the joint statement by the two heads of state
view months before.
13 March 1961, an advance team from the Ministry of
Foreign Affairs led by Councellor Marzuki arrived
in Bucharest with its most important mission to open
the Indonesian Embassy in Bucharest. The team chose
one room at Athenee Palace Hotel Bucharest, where
they were staying, to be the temporary office of the
Indonesian Embassy in Bucharest.
April 1961, the First fully pledged appointed Ambassador
of Indonesia to Romania, H.E. Soekrisno, arrived in
Bucharest and stayed in Athene Palace Hotel as his
temporary official residence.
23 May 1961, the Indonesian Embassy moved to its first
official Chancery located at Strada Biserica Popa
Chitu 18, Bucharest. From then on, the Ambassador
and his family moved to their first official residence
located at Strada Paris 37, Bucharest.
line with the development of bilateral relations between
the two countries, there was need in 1978 to have
a larger Chancery to accommodate the increase of activities
and number of staff, particularly after Indonesian
Governments decision to post a Military Attaché
to Romania. The Indonesian Ambassador at that time,
H.E. Muhamad Isnaeni, started to deal with relevant
Romanian Authority. Finally, in July 1982, the Indonesian
Embassy moved to its second Chancery located at Strada
Orlando 10, Bucharest, which was much larger. The
Chancery came into function after having been open
by the Indonesian Ambassador, H.E. Muhamad Isnaeni,
on 5 August 1983.